Cathedrals & Churches
This is one of England’s loveliest cathedrals. With its majestic Norman nave and glorious 13th century Chapter House, it’s one of the least known jewels in the crown of Nottinghamshire. In 965 a Minster church was first established. The Normans decided to rebuild it in 1108 and the work was completed by approximately 1150.
During the Civil War, the building was seriously damaged by Scottish troops, who completely vandalised the Archbishop's Palace. In 1881, the Minster’s distinctive ‘Pepperpots’ (pyramidal spires of lead), unique in the UK, were added to the west towers.
Children will enjoy hunting for the mysterious ‘Green Men’ faces among the carved stone foliage of the Chapter House and the ten carved mice created by modern craftsman, Robert Thompson.
St Mary's Church (Nottingham)
The Grade 1 listed St Mary's Church is the largest remaining Medieval building in Nottingham, and the third church to stand on this historic site in the Lace Market.
The church is mentioned in an early ballad, which describes the capture - and subsequent escape of - Robin Hood, after he visited the church.
Church of St Mary (Edwinstowe)
Many tourists also visit the Church of St Mary in Edwinstowe, where according to legend, Robin Hood and Maid Marian were wed. The Church was built around 1175 and is still used as a place of worship.
St Peter's Church (Nottingham)
Believed to be Nottingham's oldest building that's remained in continual public use, this Medieval church is a place to slow the pace amongst the hustle and bustle of the city centre.
It's spire rises close to the dome of Old Market Square.
St Martin's is a working church serving the outer city estates of Bilborough and Strelley in Nottingham.
St Martin's Church is also the home of murals painted by Evelyn Gibbs one of the most talented and influential British artists of her generation. The Annunciation mural, painted in 1946 is one of the most beautiful and unusual works of art in the region. It shows the Angel Gabriel telling Mary that she will give birth to Jesus, the Son of God. Remarkably, the scene is set in Bilborough. In the background you can see local landmarks, including St Martin’s Church.
The mural was thought to have been destroyed in 1972 but has since been discovered and in 2014 was lovingly restored to its former glory for future generations to admire once again!
St Peter's Church (Clayworth)
Based in Clayworth near Retford, St Peter’s Church dates back nearly 900 years.
The famous Traquair Murals which decorate the chancel of this 12th century church are the largest work of art in the east of England. It has been a place of worship since the 11th century and lies immediately outside the original Anglo-Saxon settlement. It is a good example of the Early style of architecture and belongs to the concluding years of the reign of Henry II, sometime about 1180.
St Mary Magdalene Church (Hucknall)
With a history that spans thousands of years, St Mary Magdalene Church in Hucknall has stories woven into its walls from as far back as the 11th century.
In 2015 the church received funding from the HLF to restore the core fabric of the building and help preserve an important local landmark. The church is home to the resting place of famous poet Lord Byron and his daughter, Ada Lovelace - a renowned mathematician and writer. The building is grade II listed and eventhough the oldest part of the current building dates back to the 11th century, a building which stood there previously dated back to the 8th century - so the site itself has many stories to tell.
For further information on historic churches in Nottinghamshire visit the Nottingham historic Church Trust.
From cosy log cabins in the heart of Sherwood Forest to luxurious hotels with spa facilities, Nottinghamshire has a great selection of accommodation. Take advantage of these special offers to make your stay even more enjoyable.
From: Thursday, 1st January 2015
To: Sunday, 31st December 2017